Monday, October 24, 2011

Week 2!

(Fig. 1)-Philodina Rotifer-(Rainis, Russell 1996)
p. 179

(Fig. 2)-Philodina Rotifer-(Rainis, Russell 1996)
p. 179









I am pleased to report that one week after the initial creation and observation of my microaquarium a significant increase in activity could be seen. As i scoured the aquarium for signs of new organisms, the first thing that immediately jumped out at me was a spherical green object that contained a hexagon shape in the middle. Unfortunately, my enthusiasm was crushed after discovering that it was in fact an air bubble. I continued to peruse the aquarium and came across several tiny organisms inching along in the way a snail might, which I was able to identify as Philodina Rotifers (Fig. 1 and 2) (Rainis, Russell 1996). Upon further examination I found a Seed Shrimp (Rainis, Russell 1996) and transparent organisms with antenna that were identified as Cyclops (Fig. 3) (Rainis, Russell 1996). I then noticed stationary, transparent objects that were connected to the plants, which I discovered were bladders that the plant puts off that an organism will get into cannot get out of, and the plant will eventually digest it. Finally, I found very tiny, green, spore looking objects that were floating just above the sediment line. These were identified as Desmids (Tiffany and Britton 1952).




(Fig. 3)-Cyclops-(Rainis, Russell 1996)
p.204

No comments:

Post a Comment